The Linksys routers use a web browser as an interface, so it’s pretty easy to work with.
* First, navigate your browser to 192.168.1.1 (type this where you would normally enter a url like www.google.com
* Enter your password (there is no user name)
* I’m running Firmware v4.30.5, so your screen might look slightly different, but look for the wireless tab on the dashboard:
* After you’ve clicked on the Wireless tab, look for the Wireless Security sub-tab. This might be confusing because you have to resist the temptation to click on the Security tab above that!
* On the Wireless Security page:
- set the Security Mode to WPA Personal
- Set the WPA Algorithms to TKIP
- Enter a COMPLEX password for WPA Shared Key. A complex password is at least 8 characters, is not a normal word that could ever be looked up in a dictionary, should contain letters, numbers, lower and upper case characters. Including non-alpha numeric characters will improve the security of your password. Make sure you make a note of this password! Note that for the screenshot below I didn’t show my Password, but when you type it in, it will be visible so keep that in mind if there are people around!
- leave the Group Key Renewal at 3600 seconds
- Click on Save Settings
You are now secure. Keep one more thing in mind. Occasionally it’s necessary to reboot a router when things just stop working, by unplugging or pushing in the reset button on the back when things get hinky. Make SURE you go back in to this control panel and make sure your router password AND your WPA password are restored. They WILL be erased if the router is reset!