Today I played the song “Famous” from the Lascivious Biddies, did NOT talk about the new iPod video, reviewed WordPress, talked about the Podcast Expo in November (I’m VERY excited about that), what wireless mouse did I buy for my son’s iBook?, reviewed another freeware ftp client, enhancements to podfeet.com, reviewed the movie “Crash”, talked about the Yahoo podcasting site, and a covered a little tech gossip.Listen to the Podcast – Time: 21 min 47 seconds
The NosillaCast started today with music from The Lascivious Biddies –
the song is called “Famous” and you can buy the CD at BiddyCast.com
and the iTunes Music Store. Many thanks to Lee Ann for letting me
use a snippet of the song. I can’t get it out of my head lately
as I think about how much fun I’m having making the Nosillicast!
Note: This is the only technology show this week which did NOT talk about the new video iPod or iTunes 6.
International listenership of NosilliCast continues to rise:
|United States||2101||6530||701.9 MB|
|Great Britain||3||17||3.6 MB|
|European Union||6||28||2.5 MB|
|Hong Kong||34||34||1.0 MB|
Gave a review of WordPress as I’ve been using it to create podfeet.com in a blog kind of way.
- Makes posting new ‘casts easy (and blogging)
- Posts vs. Pages – Posts are blog entries, dynamic in nature, and Pages are more like web pages which tend to be more static
- Excellent documentation in a wiki style, plus forums are a font of intormation
- Love how it makes archives automatically – I didn’t create the links on the right showing the archives by month
- Themes allow the creator to change the look and feel at any time
without recreating any of the content. I used the Ocadia from Beccary.com theme while editing the files a bit to include the NosillaCast and podfeet logos
- Haven’t figured out how to test changes yet, every single thing I do is on my live site…gotta be a draft section somewhere
- You can now post a comment on podcast if you want to participate
I’m going to the Portable Media Expo and Podcasting Conference on November 11/12th and I’m really excited! Leo LaPorte
is the keynote speaker, and I could just about die and go to heaven if
I get to meet him. Ron and I are going together and reallly
looking forward to learning a lot. Adam Christianson of the MacCast
told me in an email that he’ll be there, I sure hope we get a chance to
connect. I made new NosillaCast business cards and I described
the cool new Clean Edge Business Cards from Avery that worked really well, they kind of crack in half so there are no perforations at all. Very professional looking.
My son Kyle wanted a new wireless mouse for his iBook, and we passed up
the Apple, Logitech, and Kensington mice, and went with the Wireless notebook Optical Mouse 4000 from Microsoft
of all things! Smooth scroll, nice small form factor, and stores
the USB receiver in the bottom of the mouse. Features a button on
top that magnifies the screen for Windows and Mac. $25 at CompUSA
I asked the NosillaCast listeners for a new freeware ftp client because
Cyberduck was getting on my nerves. Listener Matt suggested
RBrowser which looks pretty good so far.
- free for simple ftp
- It lets you edit documents that are on the server which is awesome
- Like the way it gives two windows, one for the server and one for your local disk
- $35 if you want Secure ftp and folder syncing
Podfeet.com has some enhancements beyond the WordPress style.
Look for these new pages on the right hand side under Pages (duh).
- added an iTunes podcasting tutorial – how to subscribe to podcasts through iTunes
- added a “My Favorite Gadgets” page
Weekly movie review of Crash:
- Not for the faint of heart – I was literally screaming “NO NO NO NO!!!!!” during one scene
- It’s a movie about race
- It’s got Sandra Bullock and Brendan Frasier playing rich white people (he’s the DA) with a maid named Maria
- It’s got Jennifer Esposito and Don Cheadle playing cops (she’s hispanic, he’s black)
- Tony Danza who thinks he’s turned into Al Pacino, Matt Dillon who plays a really nasty racist cop
- William Fichtner plays a corrupt assistant to the corrupt DA….
- Anyway, it’s a horrifically compelling frightening movie that
held 100% of my attention for 2 hours and I didn’t even try to pick up
- Don’t rent it if you don’t like being on the edge of your seat the entire movie
Yahoo! is jumping on the podcasting bandwagon with their new site podcasts.yahoo.com.
I say the more the merrier! I submitted my podcast, and it
took about about a week for them to get it up, but they did do it!
The Yahoo! podcast site is pretty busy, but the search window is easy
to find, and once you find a podcast you want, it’s pretty obvious how
to subscribe (see above). You do have to have a Yahoo! account,
which is really annoying. Not sure why they did that. You
can set your subscription to go to iTunes or the Yahoo! Music Engine.
I forgot to mention it on the podcast, but Technorati
linked to NosillaCast without me even advertising it, but I think
they’ve got a bot crawling the web. It was pretty cool to see
their homepage and see NosillaCast as 2 of the entries!
Wall Street Journal had an article about Sun and Google ganging up –
sounded like fun. They said that Google wants to work on Open
Office, which would be pretty cool. I’d love to see a clean
googlish interface replace the stodgy but functional Open Office
interface. Sun’s Scott McNeally is a junkyard dog, it will be fun
to see them team up.
Feedback is welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org