I’ve decided to spin off Chit Chat Across the Pond as its own show, so stay tuned for a new feed. Macphun releases new extensions for Photos, Photoshop (Elements), Lightroom, Pixelmator and more. I take a deep dive into Intensify from Macphun for only $15 in the Mac App Store. On this week’s Chit Chat Across the Pond we’ve got Tom Merritt, fiction and non-fiction author over at tommerrittbooks.com to talk about self publishing and what his journey has been like to write his own books.
I’ve been married to the same man for 31 years, worked for the same company for 35 years, lived in the same house for 25 years, gone to the same hair dresser for 20 years, been doing this podcast for 10 years. Heck, the MUSIC hasn’t even changed on the podcast in all that time! I’m sensing a pattern, I don’t like change. But I’m going to change something anyway.
No, I’m not leaving Steve, I’m keeping him forever whether he likes it or not. I’m going to spin off Chit Chat Across the Pond as it’s own show! I should start with the problem to be solved, right? Here’s how I see it:
- The NosillaCast is getting really long, running well over an hour. No one has EVER complained about it being too long, but I know how it is, if a show is too long you just stop listening when you run out of time and pick up the next one when it comes out.
- Often I have Chit Chat Across the Pond recorded well in advance of Sunday but you have to wait for the rest of the show to get it
- The guests can’t link to the episode they’re on without some goofy message like, “fast forward past Allison’s blather till about 20 minutes in to find me”.
- Often I have very timely ideas for a Chit Chat Across the Pond but don’t do it because it would be stale by Sunday
- I figure, but I don’t really know, that some of you might prefer one or the other show, Chit Chat Across the Pond or the NosillaCast and not both so you’d be happier if you just got one.
I’ve been toying with this idea for a long time, rolled it around with Steve and Bart for probably a year. I also toyed with the idea of asking your opinion through a survey but that’s a dangerous path. If I asked your opinion and you said “no! I hate change too!” but I really wanted to do it, then what would I do? Never ask a survey question where the answer provides no actionable information and don’t do it if you don’t intend on doing what the survey responders have to say.
One big question you might have is where does Security Lite go? Bart and I decided that it should stay with the NosillaCast andI’m happy about that.
The only downside that I can think of to spinning off Chit Chat Across the Pond is sometimes the NosillaCast will be pretty short. It runs 20-30 minutes most weeks (not counting Security Lite every other week). Then again some weeks I’ve had to push content out week after week because I have too much. We’ll see how that goes.
All I have to do to make this happen is:
- Create a new RSS feed
- Come up with a logo. I’ll put Steve on this one but if you have an idea, go ahead and email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll consider it.
- Decide on intro/outtro for the show (Steve will like doing this one too
- Maybe get new music for Security Lite
- Submit to iTunes
- Figure out how its web presence will work. This is easier than you’d think because this is one of the reasons the show and website had two different names. I figured if I ever wanted a second show I could still host it at podfeet.com. Probably not the best branding idea in the world of course. I did buy nosillacast and nozillacast.com ages ago and redirected them to podfeet.com so I bought chitchatacrossthepond.com. By the way, ccatp.com was available, by auction…current bid of $795 so I declined that opportunity and went with the $15 full name!
- Spam the universe about the new show
That sounds like just a few steps but knowing me it will take a couple of weeks to get it going. I think I’ll back populate the show just a bit, I’d like to catch the beginning of Bart’s series Programming By Stealth so it’s completely incapsulated in the show. I’ll give a warning about that in episode zero.